Sackets Harbor, NY

Park, beach, trails, camping, boat docks, concession, showers, toilets, picnic

History
In 1851 Captain George Wescott bought a hundred ninety acres of land along Lake Ontario and built a twelve-room farmhouse overlooking the property's three thousand foot beach.

In 1863 Wescott met with a mortal accident and his family operated the farm until 1945 when his grandson ran the beach for the public use.

The next year most of the original farm was sold to New York State for $30,000 and the public beach was officially opened by the governor in 1950.

Entertainment & Recreation

  • wescott_beach_state_park.txt
  • Last modified: 2018/12/06 17:17
  • (external edit)