The Town of Theresa was formed in 1841 from part of the Town of Alexandria.

(The following excerpt taken from Our County And Its People: A Descriptive Work on Jefferson County, New York; Edited by Edgar C. Emerson, The Boston History Company,1898.)

Theresa was set off from Alexandria in 1811, and was named in allusion to a daughter of Mr. LeRay. Settlement in the town was begun about 1810, under the direct management of LeRay, who caused land to be cleared and a saw mill built on Indian River, near the high falls (now Theresa). Among the early settlers may be recalled the names of James Shurtleff, Anson and Jeremiah Cheeseman, Sylvester Rodman, M. B. Ashley, Azariah Walton, Col. Bull, Abram Morrow, Joseph Miller, Archibald Fisher, James Lake, Ebenezer and N. W. Lull and J. D. Davidson.


Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Theresa (village)







  • theresa_town.txt
  • Last modified: 2018/12/06 17:17
  • (external edit)