stjohns.jpg
Click to Enlarge

St. John's Catholic Church was erected in LaFargeville in 1849. The small, clapboard church was built in the Gothic Revival style. The church has connections to John La Farge, and served the early French Catholic settlers in the area.

The church's stained glass windows were installed in 1900. Between 1932-1940, Father Arthur Vain built a Shrine of Lourdes behind St. John's. The monument was built with stones from Lourdes, France, sight of the famous shrine to the Virgin Mary. The St. John's shrine is reported to have attracted 10,000 visitors, looking for a cure to a tuberculosis epidemic, during its first year.

St. John's was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.



  • st_john_s_catholic_church.txt
  • Last modified: 2018/12/06 17:17
  • (external edit)