Hamlet formerly in the Town of Leray, swallowed up by the military expansion of Fort Drum, it was a short distance from Evans Mills.

It was founded as a result of a powder mill being built there by the businessman Desjardines, at the suggestion of James LeRay. The mill was built in 1819 as well as a grist mill, both using Pleasant Creek for their waterwheels.

A woolen mill was also built and run in Slocumville. The mill was operated by Caleb Slocum, son of Samuel Slocum. Samuel was an early and well-known settler of that area whom the village was named after. The woolen mill closed around 1884.

The powder mill was unsuccessful and was converted into a potato starch factory, which also was unsuccessful.

  • slocumville.txt
  • Last modified: 2018/12/06 17:17
  • (external edit)