The Town of Rutland was formed in 1802 from part of the Town of Watertown.

(The following excerpt taken from Our County And Its People: A Descriptive Work on Jefferson County, New York; Edited by Edgar C. Emerson, The Boston History Company,1898.)

Rutland, originally Milan, township No. 3, of the Black River tract, was settled under the management of Asher Miller, agent for proprietor William Henderson. Miller himself was the pioneer, having come to the town in 1799 and opened a road from the river to a point near the center; and in the same year he induced a settlement by Levi Butterfield, Perley Keyes, Amos Stebbins, William Keyes, David and Goldsmith Coffeen, Raphael Porter, Israel Wright, Jonathan and Clark Boss, James Killiam, Jeptha King, Charles Kelsey, Warren Foster, John Dole, Gardner Cleveland and John Cotes. Agent Miller appears to have been very active in making sales of land, as in 1807 he had about fifty families in the town, with a total number of inhabitants of 250, equal to Rodman, and with that town standing first in the county. David Coffeen, who was afterward identified with early events in Champion, built the first grist mill in Rutland in 1801, and the first saw mill in 1802. Levi Butterfield was the first tavern keeper, and Jacob Williams opened the first store.


Black River (village)
Felts Mills (hamlet)

  • rutland.txt
  • Last modified: 2018/12/06 17:17
  • (external edit)