A treaty of sorts was created on October 22, 1784, between the newcomers and the NY Sate American Indians. The treaty was made secure by a subsequent one with the Oneidas when they ceded all of NY's land, except for a small parcel - a hundred square mile tract in what is now the Town of Orleans consisting of land between the northwest corner touched the St. Lawrence at the site of the present village of Clayton, called Penet's Square (or Penet Square - named after Peter Penet), to the State of New York in 1789.

Penet never got to do anything with the land or even live there, so the title became very questionable, squatters were angry and took over the land, and then Penet was lost at sea. John La Farge bought the square.

Also see:
Lafargeville
John La Farge
Clayton

  • penet_s_square.txt
  • Last modified: 2018/12/06 17:17
  • (external edit)