Located on Carlton Island, named in honor of Gov. Sir Guy Carleton. Construction of Fort Haldimand commenced in the fall of 1778 under the command of Lt. William Twiss. During the Revolution, it became an important staging point for forces under Joseph Brant and Sir John Johnson in numerous raids on the Mohawk Valley. Molly Brant spent the winter of 1780-1781 at the fort, in a cabin just outside the garrison.

The British continued to occupy the fort after the Revolution, as they did many of their forts officially ceded to the United States. It was not until the War of 1812 that Americans took the fort from the British.

  • fort_haldimand_site.txt
  • Last modified: 2018/12/06 17:16
  • (external edit)