Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge

The Densmore Methodist Episcopal Church is located on Wellesley Island in the Town of Alexandria. The Shingle style rural chapel was built in 1900 to serve the local population, as well as visitors to the Thousand Islands region.

The new Methodist population arriving on Wellesley Island in the late 19th century prompted the building of this church, who had been holding services in the Caulkins Schoolhouse. Land was donated by J.R.Caulkins, and construction was overseen by Rev. A.F. Pennock, who dedicated the completed structure in 1902. Among those present at the dedication were Rev. J.D. Phelps of Syracuse University as well as George and Louise Boldt, who donated the church's silver communion set and baptismal font.

The Church underwent a restoration project during the 1970's, which took care to maintain the church's historical appearance. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.


  • densmore_methodist_church_of_the_thousand_islands.txt
  • Last modified: 2018/12/06 17:16
  • (external edit)