Cleveland Building

cleavbldg.jpg
1900

The Cleveland Building was built on Arsenal Street

cleveland.jpg
Today

in Watertown in 1890 by Milo L. Cleveland and his company. Cleveland also built stone arch bridges at Antwerp, Madrid, Limerick and Louisville, a large paper and pulp mill in Glen Park for C.R. Remington and Sons Paper Company as well as the Opera House in Watertown and the Watertown waterworks on Huntington Street near Eastern Boulevard. .

Originally built as the Watertown Post Office, the structure was dismantled to make way for a new post office building in 1908. A third story was added when the building was reassembled, block-by-block, on the southwest corner of Stone and Arcade Streets, where it stands today. The Watertown Elk Lodge 496 The building was purchased for $65,000 in 1921 by the membership of Watertown Elk Lodge 496, who used the building as their lodge until moving in 1988 to a location on Bradley Street. The Elks sold the building to Jreck Subs, who used it as their corporate headquarters for a number of years. The City of Watertown took the property for back taxes in 2003. Today the building is used as office space.






  • cleveland_building.txt
  • Last modified: 2018/12/06 17:16
  • (external edit)