Maple Grove
Maple Grove

The Broadway Historic District is a nationally recognized historic district located in Cape Vincent. The district was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

The Broadway District is historically notable for its early to mid 19th century buildings that were erected by French nobles who were exiled from France after the fall of Napoleon Bonaparte. The earliest structure in the district is Vincent LeRay's Stone House, which was built for him by his father James D. LeRay in 1815. Later settlers in the area included Captain Louis Peugnet, Theofilus Peugnet, Henry and Annette Crevolin and Jean Phillipe Galband du Fort, all French exiles. All of these settlers built large Georgian and Greek Revival homes, which stand today.

vinclerayhouse.jpg
The Stone House

Settlers of the Broadway District, all Napoleonic supporters, planned to bring the exiled Napoleon to Cape Vincent, but these plans came to a halt with Napoleon's death in 1821. During the 1830's most of the French settlers returned to France. The Peugnet family remained in Cape Vincent, taking ownership of the Stone House, as well as building their own estate of Maple Grove and the Crevolin family, who built the estate of Beachwood.

Notable buildings in the district include the Stone House (1815), Stone House servant's quarters (1820), Maple Grove (1828), Beachwood (1840) and the Bragden House (1840).


  • broadway_historic_district.txt
  • Last modified: 2018/12/06 17:16
  • (external edit)