The American House is on the right
The American House is on the right

The American House was a hotel that stood on the corner of Arsenal Street and Public Square in Watertown, on the site of the current Woolworth Building. The hotel, also known as the Wheeler House was built in 1827, and replaced a tavern built by Dr. Isaiah Massey.(1) It was in the horse barn behind this hotel that a small fire started the conflagration that became known as the Great Fire of 1849, which destroyed most of downtown Watertown, including the American House.










Historic Structures in Watertown
Public Square



  • american_house.txt
  • Last modified: 2018/12/06 17:16
  • (external edit)