Town of Rodman
The Town of Rodman was formed from part of the Town of Adams
(The following excerpt taken from Our County And Its People: A Descriptive Work on Jefferson County, New York
; Edited by Edgar C. Emerson, The Boston History Company,1898.)
Rodman, originally Orpheus, township No. 8, of the Black River tract, was settled in 1801, under the direction of Silas Stow, acting as agent for proprietors Harrison and Hoffman. The pioneers were Anson and Ebenezer Moody, Jonathan, Noah and Aaron Davis, Benjamin Thomas, William Rice
, and Simeon Hunt, followed in 1803 by Timothy Greenly and Thomas White. William Rice built the first saw mill in 1801, and the first grist mill in 1806. This town was settled rapidly, and in 1807 contained 236 legal voters.
Cities, Villages and Hamlets
This page was created by AJRII
& has been edited 3 times. The last modification was made by -
on Nov 22, 2008 1:33 pm.