Town of Philadelphia
The Town of Philadelphia was formed in 1821 from part of the Town of LeRay
(The following excerpt taken from Our County And Its People: A Descriptive Work on Jefferson County, New York
; Edited by Edgar C. Emerson, The Boston History Company,1898.)
In Philadelphia the first settlers were " Friends " from Pennsylvania and New Jersey, who came in 1804, among the first being Cadwallader Child, Mordecai Taylor and Samuel Evans. Robert Comfort kept the first tavern, Samuel Case the first store, and Thomas and John Townsend built the first saw mill.
Cities, Villages and Hamlets
This page was created by AJRII
& has been edited 3 times. The last modification was made by -
on Nov 22, 2008 2:15 pm.