The Paddock Building sits on Public Square
. The structure was built in 1850 by Loveland Paddock
and designed by architect Otis Wheelock
. It replaced Paddock Block, which was destroyed in the Fire of 1849
. Built behind the building was the Paddock Arcade
, whose entrance stood at the south end of the building (left photo).
In 1916, F. W. Woolworth
took ownership of the north end of the building, which the Woolworth Corporation demolished in 1919 to make way for the Woolworth Building
. Only the section fronting the arcade
remains standing today (right photo).
Historic Structures in Watertown