The Paddock Arcade was built in 1850 on Public Square
. Designed by Otis Wheelock
and built by Loveland Paddock
, the three story arcade was modeled after similar arcades in Europe and the United States. In 1920 a large section of the Paddock Building
was demolished to make way for construction of the Woolworth Building
. Around this time, the arcade received a translucent, steel-and-wire-glass dropped ceiling between its second and third stories, which allowed light to filter in from its glass roof.
The three story arcade, which is fronted by the four story Paddock Building
, has been home to a multitude of businesses in it's 157 year old history. Its 157 years of uninterrupted operation gives the Paddock Arcade the distinction of being the oldest, continuously operating covered shopping mall in the United States. After several years of decline, and near closure in the early 2000's, the arcade today is being revitalized by new businesses and ownership.
The Paddock Arcade was listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Click the slide show to visit the Wiki Photo Album
Historic Structures in Watertown
This page was created by AJRII & has been edited 19 times. The last modification was made by - on Apr 10, 2009 11:42 am