|The Paddock Arcade|
Loveland Paddock was a Watertown
resident who came in 1807 to work for his brother John
in the family business- Paddock and Smith mercantile. The firm amassed great wealth during the War of 1812
, supplying the Army and Navy at Sackets Harbor
. He took over the partnership in 1816 when John died. In the 1820s, he began investing in real estate, becoming one of the wealthiest men in Jefferson County
during the first half of the 19th century.
Paddock was a financier and entrepreneur and was involved in numerous ventures. One of his most notable achievements was his founding of the Black River Bank
in 1844, of which he served as president.
Paddock's legacy, though, lies in the Paddock Arcade
. During the rebuilding of Watertown
after the Great Fire of 1849
, Paddock commissioned architect Otis Wheelock
to design and build the arcade and the adjoining Paddock Building
. Paddock had taken notice a photo of the Beauharnais Arcade in Paris, France. This famous "glass covered street" struck Paddock, who wanted to build one in Watertown
. Opened in 1850, the arcade today carries the distinction of being the oldest, continuously operating covered mall in the United States.
Paddock had acquired the spacious Jabez Foster
mansion on Washington Street
. This mansion passed to Paddock's son, Edwin, who tore it down, and built the Paddock Mansion
in its place.
Jefferson County Pioneers
This page was created by AJRII & has been edited 10 times. The last modification was made by - on Apr 11, 2009 6:43 am