The Leray Hotel stood on Public Square
, and was built in 1908. The hotel was also home to the Wonderland (later known as The Town
) movie theater. After it ceased being a hotel, the building was used as office space. The building soon became known as the Electric Building, when it became home to the offices of the local utilities company. The building is notable for being the site where Jules Saaman invented the Little Trees Car Freshener
in the 1950's.
The Electric Building was torn down in April, 1976, one month after the demolition of the Hotel Woodruff
Note: There is also a Leray Hotel
in Evans Mills
Historic Structures in Watertown