Lafargeville


Lafargeville is a hamlet located in the Town of Orleans in Jefferson County.

In 1816 Dr. Ruben Andrus and Benjamin Page traveled from Vermont to New York and decided to settle on the banks of the Catfish Creek. The location of Andrus' log house is now where The Orleans House is, which was built by John La Farge (he also built The Lafarge Mansion and a schoolhouse). Andrus had also built a dam and a grist mill, which was how Lafargeville originally became known as Log Mills.

In 1823 John La Farge bought up much of the land and so during a village Fourth of July celebration the inhabitants decided to rename the village 'Lafargeville'.

More info, pics needed.

Also see:
The Orleans House
Penet Square
John La Farge
The Lafarge Mansion


This page was created by lectrichead & has been edited 2 times. The last modification was made by - AJRII AJRII on May 13, 2008 2:18 am