Paddock Block second from right c.1849
Paddock Block second from right c.1849
Captain John Paddock was one of the early settlers in Watertown. In 1805, Paddock partnered with William Smith to open the Paddock and Smith Store, the first mercantile in Watertown. The store was furnished with goods from suppliers in Utica, NY.

In 1815, Paddock erected a three story block on the site that is now occupied by the Woolworth Building. The Paddock Block stood for more than 30 years, when it was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1849.

John Paddock died suddenly in 1816, leaving his share of the business to his brother, Loveland.

See Also

Paddock Block
Jefferson County Pioneers

This page was created by AJRII & has been edited 7 times. The last modification was made by - AJRII AJRII on Apr 10, 2009 11:27 am