The Harris House was a hotel located on Public Square
. The hotel was built in 1828, and was originally known as the Empire House. The Harris House was one of the few buildings to escape the fire of 1849
, which ravaged most of downtown Watertown
By the turn of the 20th century, the Harris House had deteriorated into an eyesore, garnering a reputation as a haven for criminals and derelicts. With calls for the building's demolition from the citizenry and press becoming more numerous, the hotel was finally demolished in 1906, and the Franklin Building
was built in its place.
Historic Structures in Watertown