General Jacob Jennings Brown
began to build his home in Brownville
in 1811, the War of 1812
intervened and the mansion was not finished until 1814-1815.
The mansion is a twenty-two room Georgian-style mansion hand-cut and made of blue limestone. General Jacob Jennings Brown
planned on using it as a temporary jail for War of 1812
prisoners but the war ended before the mansion was fully finished. It remained in the Brown family but the family never lived there.
On April 1st, 1946, Samuel Upham, Watertown
philanthropist, bought the Brown Mansion and gave it to the village of Brownville
. Since then it has been used as a museum, school, library, civic center and village meeting place.
More info needed.
The Haunting of General Jacob Brown's Mansion
Historic Structures in Jefferson County
This page was created by AJRII
& has been edited 9 times. The last modification was made by -
on Mar 12, 2009 9:05 pm