Town of Champion
The Town of Champion was formed from the Town of Mexico (in Oswego County) in 1800. Named for pioneer Henry Champion
(The following excerpt taken from Our County And Its People: A Descriptive Work on Jefferson County, New York
; Edited by Edgar C. Emerson, The Boston History Company,1898.)
Champion, originally Howard, township No. 4, of the Black River
tract, was settled in 1797-98 by Noadiah Hubbard
. In 1799 Joel Mix came with his family, and also John and Thomas Ward, Ephraim Chamberlain, Samuel and David Starr, Jotham Mitchell, Salmon Ward, and Bela Hubbard, all of whom were young men without families. In 1807 this town had 182 legal voters.
Cities, Villages and Hamlets
This page was created by AJRII
& has been edited 5 times. The last modification was made by -
on Mar 7, 2009 1:27 pm.