|Tannery Island Paper Mill|
The village of Carthage lies in the Town of Wilna
in Jefferson County
. Before it was named Carthage it was known as Long Falls.
Around 1800 Jean Baptiste Bossuot, a French immigrant, started a ferry service on the west bank of Black River
where West Carthage is now. In 1806 David Coffeen built a hydraulic grist mill near that location, and in 1913 Azra Church built the first bridge, a toll bridge, between Carthage and West Carthage for Russell Atwater and David Parish. This put Bossuot out of business.
In 1834 Joseph C. Budd , William Bones and Benjamin Bently built a blast furnace and started making small iron implements while Henry D. Cadwell opened a general store in what is now West Carthage. Population and business expansion around this time rapidly increased.
Mills and factories were built along the Black River in Carthage, as well as on the islands (at one time there were 29, to see a drawing of the islands during the 1880's see Great Carthage Fire of 1884
has had it's share of fires. In 1861 fire destroyed twenty buildings in the village, and another fire destroyed more later in the year. Another smaller fire in 1872 destroyed more buildings. In 1884 a great fire swept through the village's industrial areas and some of it's residential (see description, photo of the aftermath, and drawing of area burned during the fire at Great Carthage Fire of 1884
). And in 1899 another fire destroyed about nine buildings downtown. In 2002 the same buildings burned again, drawing out all of the fire departments in the area (see Carthage Fire of 2002
). Some have called Carthage
"The Town That Would Not Die".
|Guyot Island Planing Mill|
|Furnace Island Iron Works|
Official Carthage Website
Carthage Central School
Carthage Central School's Official website
Carthage School Alumni website
Great Carthage Fire of 1884
Carthage Fire of 2002
Carthage Hotel Imperial
Carthage Methodist Episcopal Church
Carthage Public Library
Photos of the ruins of the old Carthage Mills
Photo of the ruins of the Tannery Island Mill
This page was created by lectrichead & has been edited 19 times. The last modification was made by - on May 20, 2009 6:31 am.