|The American House is on the right|
The American House was a hotel that stood on the corner of Arsenal Street
and Public Square
, on the site of the current Woolworth Building
. The hotel, also known as the Wheeler House was built in 1827, and replaced a tavern built by Dr. Isaiah Massey
It was in the horse barn behind this hotel that a small fire started the conflagration that became known as the Great Fire of 1849
, which destroyed most of downtown Watertown
, including the American House.
Historic Structures in Watertown
This page was created by AJRII
& has been edited 11 times. The last modification was made by -
on Apr 7, 2009 5:12 am.