Town of Alexandria
The Town of Alexandria was formed in 1821 from parts of the Towns of LeRay
(The following excerpt taken from Our County And Its People: A Descriptive Work on Jefferson County, New York
; Edited by Edgar C. Emerson, The Boston History Company,1898.)
Alexandria was formed in 1821, from LeRay
. Improvements in Alexandria were not begun until about 1811, when Mr. LeRay
made a clearing at the center, thus hoping to attract settlers to the locality, but owing to the uncertainties of the war actual settlement was delayed. This town, however, had an interesting history during the War of 1812.
Cities, Villages and Hamlets
This page was created by AJRII
& has been edited 4 times. The last modification was made by -
on Jan 6, 2009 10:55 am.