Town of Adams
The Town of Adams was formed in 1802.
(The following excerpt taken from Our County And Its People: A Descriptive Work on Jefferson County, New York
; Edited by Edgar C. Emerson, The Boston History Company,1898.)
The town of Adams, originally Aleppo, township No. 7, Black River tract, was surveyed in 1796 by Benjamin Wright, and in 1799 Nicholas Salisbury and several companions visited the region in quest of a place for settlement. Soon afterward Mr. Salisbury made a purchase of land in the town, but no permanent settlement was made until the spring of I800. In the meantime other prospective settlers had made purchases, but his was the pioneer effort in actual occupation. More than forty lots were sold previous to 1805, and the town in 1807 contained 163 persons.
Cities, Villages and Hamlets
This page was created by AJRII
& has been edited 5 times. The last modification was made by -
on Nov 22, 2008 1:10 pm.