Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
union_hotel_sackets_harbor_new_york [2019/01/04 13:23]
lectrichead
union_hotel_sackets_harbor_new_york [2019/01/04 13:23] (current)
lectrichead
Line 1: Line 1:
 ===== Union Hotel ===== ===== Union Hotel =====
 \\ {{:​union.jpg|union.jpg}} \\ {{:​union.jpg|union.jpg}}
-\\The Union Hotel, located in [[Sackets_Harbor|Sackets Harbor]], was built in 1817 by Frederick White, an early resident. It was constructed of a soft, grey, Trenton limestone found on the shoreline of Lake Ontario. The four story stone building opened as the Union Hotel, but later in the 19th century was known as the Mansion House, and, later, Barrows Hotel. The fourth floor was used as a meeting hall for the local Masonic order. The building ceased being a hotel in the 1860's and was purchased by the masons in 1865. The mason'​s used the part of the building as their lodge and converted the rest of the structure into apartments. The building became known as the Masonic Building soon after.\\ \\  In the 20th century, the building continued to house the masons, as well as a museum and an antique shop. Despite it's continued use, the building suffered from deterioration. The building was restored by the Sackets Harbor Historical Society, and today, the building houses the Seaway Trail Discovery Center, a maritime museum. The building was listed on the [[National_Register_of_Historic_Places|National Register of Historic Places]] in 1977.\\ \\ +\\ 
 +The Union Hotel, located in [[Sackets_Harbor|Sackets Harbor]], was built in 1817 by Frederick White, an early resident. It was constructed of a soft, grey, Trenton limestone found on the shoreline of Lake Ontario. The four story stone building opened as the Union Hotel, but later in the 19th century was known as the Mansion House, and, later, Barrows Hotel. The fourth floor was used as a meeting hall for the local Masonic order. The building ceased being a hotel in the 1860's and was purchased by the masons in 1865. The mason'​s used the part of the building as their lodge and converted the rest of the structure into apartments. The building became known as the Masonic Building soon after.\\ \\  In the 20th century, the building continued to house the masons, as well as a museum and an antique shop. Despite it's continued use, the building suffered from deterioration. The building was restored by the Sackets Harbor Historical Society, and today, the building houses the Seaway Trail Discovery Center, a maritime museum. The building was listed on the [[National_Register_of_Historic_Places|National Register of Historic Places]] in 1977.\\ \\ 
 ===== See Also ===== ===== See Also =====
 [[Historic_Structures_in_Jefferson_County|Historic Structures in Jefferson County]]\\ [[Stone_Buildings|Stone Buildings]]\\ \\ \\  [[Historic_Structures_in_Jefferson_County|Historic Structures in Jefferson County]]\\ [[Stone_Buildings|Stone Buildings]]\\ \\ \\ 
  • union_hotel_sackets_harbor_new_york.txt
  • Last modified: 2019/01/04 13:23
  • by lectrichead